Snapshot of a Day

Patchwork of Days, by Nancy Lande

The first book I read about homeschooling, about ten years ago, was Homeschooling: A Patchwork of Days, by Nancy Lande, which tells the stories of a single day in the life of dozens of homeschooling families. It was THE book that made me think “this is what I want for my family.”  It would be years before I even met my husband and *started* on that family, but I knew that I wanted our life to be flexible, adaptable to the day and the people in that day, and what they all wanted and needed out of it.  I have been a lifelong learner, but this book made me into a self-proclaimed homeschooler.

I found it again recently when purging a bookcase that had been filled two deep, and thought it might be a good exercise to do myself: to document an ordinary day of our homeschooling lives, both for you, my readers, and for me, for posterity and reflection.  I call it a snapshot in the title, but I go into at *least* 12 megapixels of detail here, so grab a cup of tea before you settle in.  Here goes!

7:20 – 9 AM: (Waking up, breakfast, talking about responsibilities, getting some cleaning done.  Computer time for me, play time for the kids.) Big D starts the day by coming in to say hello and grab a kleenex for her still runny nose.  She wants me to have breakfast with her, and I’m actually feeling ok, so I say sure. I’m coming out of the bathroom when Big D tells me that she has put the horses that got left out last night right in the middle of the hall, so Beara will see them when she wakes up, because otherwise they would be almost too camouflaged to find. I’m making tea for the two of us when Beara decides to get up, not wanting to miss the unfortunately uncommon opportunity to have breakfast with us both.  Daddyman likes to get out of the house late in the evening, and usually does the grocery shopping then, leaving surprises or asked for items on the kitchen table for us to find in the morning.  Today we wake up to find the cheese danish that Beara asked for next to the daffodils that he got me for Valentine’s Day, even though we agreed not to spend any money.  Big D abstains, saying she is still a sickie, but Beara and I dig in.

I eat quickly, and set about unloading the dishwasher, which gives us a chance to chat while they are still at the table.  We’ve been talking about what new responsibilities they are ready to take on once they turn six in April, and they eagerly volunteer for all of the possibilities I outline for them, burgeoning with so much excitement that they immediately want to get to work tidying up their room, so I close the now empty dishwasher and follow their lead!  [Ed note: I know, RIGHT?!?  Trust me, THIS part ain’t typical!]

One quick look at the complete lack of visible carpet, and I go to grab a hamper and a trash bag.  All the hampers are full of clean laundry (whoops!), so I dump one out on the bottom of our bed, hoping Daddyman and Buddy don’t knock it off before I can deal with it.  The girls and I then tackle their room, and get half the floor picked up before their interest wanes and my back pain increases, so we take a break of undetermined length for Wii Just Dance Kids 2 for them, and computer time for me.

I’ve spent about an hour writing this, but honestly I’m on the computer for at least an hour each morning anyway.  I’m just not reading my email, LJ, FB and my twitter feed this morning so I can write this.

I had to unplug my computer and climb up in between Daddyman and Buddy to start writing, but now Buddy is up and at ’em, and squabbling with Beara over which one of them gets to fill out the insert form from National Geographic.  I used to love filling out forms at their ages, so I guess I get it, but really, guys, there are two forms!

We had kind of a rough last couple of weeks, with all of us being sick at one point or another, but yesterday we shook, first thing in the morning, on having a “No Hitting, No Yelling Day,” and it went *wonderfully*, so we all shook on it again this morning.  Fingers crossed!

9-10:30 AM: (Prime unschooling time, for all of us, except Daddyman, who is just starting to get up.) Big D came in, wanting to trace jelly bracelet shapes on the homeschool desk, but it is covered in chaos, so she put their laptop on the bed, and used the space it had occupied for her work.  Buddy came in to nurse (asking for “ums”), and we listened to a track my cousin composed.  Buddy immediately loved it, and Big D declared it “annoying”.  (One out of two, John!)

Big D shows us her drawing (jelly bracelets are really hard to trace, apparently), and I ask Buddy if he wants to go put his pee in the potty.  We have a new special routine of my giving him a helicopter ride back to the bathroom if he tells me he has peed first thing in the morning, so he happily bounces back in, nekid from the waist down, announcing his success, but I have to talk him into the ride (which is fun for me too), since all he really wants is the sticker for his potty chart.  He picks yellow this time, because it is Beara’s favorite color.  He rarely picks the color just for himself, but he announced that he’s “going to use purple tomorrow because it is COOL.”  He then counts his potty stickers to date: 18. The first went on there well over a year ago when he proved he could do it, but he lost interest after that, and has only started up again recently.  We’ve got a first appointment to  see a pediatric GI specialist next month; hard to learn to poop in the potty when it explodes out one’s backside, and has the consistency of paint.  :/

Big D is the most introverted of the three, and seems to really need time by herself, kind of like me.  Right now she’s playing at the foot of our bed brushing the teeth of her dragons, Purple Spike and Red Toe, while I type and Daddyman snores next to me.  He likely left to go shopping around 1 AM, having worked on his coursework for his RN-to-Nurse-Practioner program once the house was finally quiet last night.  Beara has finally had enough of a workout with the Wii, and she and Buddy are playing castles in the doorway, but soon they’ll migrate to join Big D on our bed for games of baby wolves, dragons, and other general trying out of the big life issues of death, violence, and growing up, all in the emotionally safe space of playmobiles and mommy’s feet.   Our bedroom (with a king sized bed for cosleeping, and, apparently, playing) is connected by a French door to the living room, so I can be part of the kids’ play even on the now wonderfully rare days that pain or other neurological sequelae keep me in bed.  Good thing Daddyman is a sound sleeper…

I stay on the computer, finally reading my email (mostly homeschool stuff), LiveJournal (for my medieval history and geek communities), Twitter (for professional development and like-minded friends, on separate feeds), and Facebook, the one place where my worlds collide, so far, so peacefully.  I spend several hours a day on the computer, reading, writing, laughing and thinking.  It is my main point of connection with our broader culture, helps me develop as a professional, homeschooling parent, and lifelong learner, and is the main way I communicate with my friends, other than my phone-loving BFF.  Not only can I not imagine homeschooling without the resources and community I find online, but I KNOW I wouldn’t be half as sane without the contact it provides.  (Yes, I AM active in my local, vibrant homeschooling community.  Not the same, not even remotely.)

Buddy decides to get dressed around 10 AM, asking for his sister not to look, which is new.  All three kids are actually wearing some kind of clothing other than underwear/pull-ups at at the same time, probably for the first time in days, esp as two out of three kids were too sick to take to Lightbulb Lab this week.  (Lightbulb Lab is the creative problem solving group I run for local 3-8 year old homeschool kids.)

Beara saw the clock (we’re working on telling time), and 10 AM snack is a treasured part of her routine. Buddy comes in, telling me that he already got himself some cheese danish for breakfast, and says “aren’t I a big boy?”  Yup, he is!  We encourage them to work in their zones of proximal development, and cutting and serving his own danish is definitely in his!  He didn’t want to eat it, once he saw Beara’s Oreo, but I sweet talk him into eating half his sugary danish before he eats his wicked sugary Oreo.  Sigh.  Big D asks me to reheat her long-abandoned tea, which I do, but she lets it go cold again.  Some times she really enjoys it, but other days I think she asks for it just because I’m having some!

10:30 -12:30: (Core one-on-one academic time.) Many Fridays find us heading off to either Book Club (a monthly homeschool event hosted by a local library) or Friday Play (something active, planned by one of the parents, but often geared for kids older than mine, and with fees for most of the winter events), but we’ve got too many germs we’re still trying to eradicate, so I didn’t even bother to look at what is scheduled for today.

Beara asks for some math time, so we start to head upstairs to the guest room to have some special Mama/Beara homeschooling time. I ask Big D and Buddy to each come up when the previous person comes down, so I don’t have to do the stairs on a painful knee any more times than necessary.  Beara decides to do her two pages of Singapore Math 1A first, and one of the pages has a spy on it, decoding mangled math sentences on his way to get to a treasure chest.  This becomes a HUGE adventure for Beara, who insists that we whisper, keep track of how many blades of grass and rocks we pass on our way in a tally chart she draws on her scrap paper, and that we have to go fast because there is a “bad guy spy” hot on our trail.  We successfully grab the treasure, have a little celebratory dance, and accidentally break the pencil, so I head down to sharpen it, since I’m pretty sure I’m the only one who knows where it is!  Daddyman is up, and playing chess on our bed with Buddy, while Big D watches on.  Back to the spy story, which continues as Beara moves into her two pages of Explode the Code 1 1/2, so we decode the sentences one at a time, moving between the two rooms upstairs to keep one step ahead of the Bad Guy Spy.

Big D has started being curious about what all the giggling and movement upstairs is about at this point, and comes up *just* enough to be really excited about her turn coming up.  She does her math (she’s one page ahead of Beara, so she started with the spy page, then did one more), then did two pages of Explode the Code Book 2, including reading sentences made up of simple words that were actually super secret spy messages!  Her last page had her writing the following words: wig, cop, stem, step, swim, ten, and twin.  We decided (as the super spy team we are) that this meant that we needed to find the undercover cop, who would tell us which building’s steps we needed to look next to in order to find a secret note hidden in a tree nearby.  That note said where we were to get in the water and begin our ten minute long swim, which would lead us to the twins, who could give us the next clue.  She also decided, while writing ‘twin’, that the ‘t’ and ‘i’, as tall letters, were grown-ups, homeschooling the shorter ‘w’ and ‘n’ who were sitting at a desk, aka the dashed line.

If you have the idea that this last session with Big D went uninterrupted, you are completely delusional.  Buddy had heard about the super super-spy story unfolding upstairs, and really didn’t want to wait until Big D was done to have his turn.  I called down to Daddyman after about the sixth time Buddy came up, and asked him if he could please facilitate Buddy’s staying downstairs.  Daddyman called Buddy down, and that worked for about five minutes.  A few more visits (aka distractions) later, and I went downstairs with Buddy to see if I could help him get engaged in something.  What he wanted to do was play Wii Space Camp, which the girls got for Christmas, and which we tried for the first time yesterday.  Trouble is, Daddyman had gotten burned out on helping them with it last night (some of it is crazy hard, and they need help reading some of it, too), and is about as far from a morning person as you can get.  Combine this with his sleeping in until 10 AM (as opposed to his usual 9 AM), and he had NO tolerance for helping Buddy play today.  I initiated a conversation about what Buddy might enjoy that wouldn’t make Daddyman nutty, and left them to finish it, while I went back up to Big D.  Phew!  (Daddyman relented/got over his morning grouchies, and let Buddy and Beara play Space Camp.)

Then Buddy’s turn, which he was VERY excited for.  He had brought up all sorts of helpful spy gadgets while I had been (trying to be) working with Big D; things like binoculars, a cell phone, a sword, and a building-grabber machine (part of an old gears set).  We started with some math; I drew huge connected circles in the shape of a number bond, and we used snap-cubes to do five basic addition sentences with numbers up to ten.  He decided to do some of them in Spanish, which means I am really glad that we were only doing addition, as my knowledge of the Spanish language does not extend to the word for ‘minus’ – something I obviously need to fix!  Then Buddy said he wanted to do some Explode the Code, too, but I hadn’t brought that upstairs, so we came down to the big bed, where he nursed and did three pages of Book A of Getting Read for the Code, pretty much simultaneously.  (Can you say ‘asynchrony’?)  He is really good at initial sounds, and recognizing letters, but has (understandable) trouble with writing letter shapes, so he and I took turns writing the letters in, with each of us modeling for the other how the letters were written.

All three kids would prefer to do a sprint of ten pages in a day, but then they don’t want to touch it again for over a week, and that just doesn’t add up to the same amount of pages as two a day of each math and Explode the Code do, so that is what we’re trying to aim for instead.  We talked about it as a family the other week, and the kids said that if they got special Mama time for it each day, they’d go for it, thus our doing it upstairs, away from the distracting throng, at least in theory!  My kids love novelty, as you can see, and while it might take longer to move from room to room, tallying rocks our super spy passes, or working out the clue we’ll get from the cop dressed in drag, the kids each did their assigned two pages (or equivalent) in each math and English, plus their own additions to the plan brought in tallying, art, and a foreign language.  Also?  Our only ‘problem’ was kids wanting to get into their portion of the homeschooling morning SOONER.  That is SO my kind of problem!

12:30 – 3 PM: (Lunch and more quality unschooling time.) All the kids done with what we all consider their assignments for the day, Daddyman made lunch (sandwiches for the kids, left over pasta for me), and I documented the work of the morning here.  The kids then moved back to Wii Space Camp, but needed Daddyman’s help for some tricky games, which he complained about before hand, but laughed during, so I’m calling that a win, overall.

I checked my email, and grabbed some good looking links for future explorations, parking them in my Symbaloo account for easy pre-sorted retrieval at a later date.  I also open up a bunch of tabs of interesting looking articles for my own edification and enjoyment that I’ll peruse in odd moments during the rest of the day. Beara came and sat next to me while she illustrated some of her newest book, and Daddyman came to see what links I was finding, watching a few brief videos with me, and generally reading over my shoulder.  Then my BFF called, and we talked for over half an hour.  Her youngest kids are the same age as my oldest; all four of hers are in public school in another state.  We have been friends for almost 35 years, so while we don’t always agree on things, our non-agreements are respectful ones, and I find our conversations thought provoking.

3 – 5:30 PM: (The kids and I start to get a little tired by midafternoon, so we play, do some cleaning, and generally cut ourselves some slack while Daddyman, who slept in latest, gets stuff done and makes dinner.) The kids were starting to get a little frustrated with some of the trickier aspects of Wii Space Camp, so I redirected them with some together time, so we can discuss our plans for the next 24 hours.  We have a day trip planned tomorrow for the medieval history club we participate in, and need to get ready tonight, so we can’t do anything particularly complicated, lengthy, or tiring.  We have been trying to institute a family game night lately, and Daddyman says that while he does’t have time to get us sorted for D&D (esp as he still needs to run to the market for dinner’s missing ingredient), he’d be happy to run a Hero’s Quest game for us.  (I’ve heard him talk about it, but never played, preferring to wing a D&D campaign, personally, but we’re in the middle of a campaign he’s been in charge of, so that won’t really work today.)  He goes to pull out the box and prepare the game before running out to the store, and I try to enlist the kids in finishing our job of tidying the girls’ room.

I get to work on the second half of the carpet, and, while Buddy is a big helper, running things I find to the rooms they belong in, assistance is notably lacking from the actual residents of the room.  Big D is completely AWOL, while Beara keeps sitting down on the bottom bunk bed to work on her book between the specific tasks I give her.  I get it done, then sit the kids down to talk about how I don’t necessarily LIKE cleaning, but I find the results worth the effort.  They agree that the results are great.  Beara says she likes cleaning more when music is playing, and I add that I like it better when I have help, since it makes it both faster and more social.  We end the conversation by their agreeing that they either need to help clean more, or make less mess in the first place.

I leave them to play on the vast expanse of newly revealed carpet, and go into the kitchen to make another much needed cup of tea.  (I had maybe one cup a month before last October, when I finally showed my British roots and started drinking it daily.  Almost 40 with three little kids is exhausting, and chocolate has way more calories.)  Buddy follows me into the kitchen, down on all fours, with his fingers curled back like some kind of paw or hoof.  I ask him what kind of animal he is being, but in our own play language: we make the first letter of every word, as pretty much every intervening consonant, into the same consonant, so “what animal are you being today, Buddy?” becomes “but banibal bar boo being, Buddy?”  We change consonants from day to day, but ‘b’ is a favorite, likely because it doesn’t change his name much/at all, which somehow makes the sentences funnier.  He said he was being a “Bubby Burble” (aka Buddy turtle) and followed me into the bedroom, since my leg was really hurting at this point, and I wanted to get my weight off it.  He curled up with me on the bed, and I asked him more about the game they were playing.  Big D loves to play Big D Turtles, and Buddy had decided to join in.  I asked who Beara was being (this is all in ‘b’ language still), and he said that Beara was being Big D Turtle’s person.  I asked if she was his person too, and he said that no, I was, and gave me a big cuddle.

Then Buddy wanted to nurse some (he frequently takes a nap this time of day), and I said that Buddy could certainly have some, but that Buddy Turtles were reptiles, and reptiles didn’t nurse (‘have ums’, in the family vernacular).  He looked at me pensively for a moment, not going for my shirt at all.  I suggested that maybe he’d like to pretend to be some kind of non-human Buddy Mammal for a bit, so he could have ums, and he decided on rhinoceros, his new favorite animal.  Then he wanted to know how to hold his hands right, so he’d look like a rhinoceros, so we looked them up on Wikipedia, saw that they have an odd number of  thick-nailed hoof-like toes on each foot, and he shaped his hand accordingly, before settling in to nurse for all of two minutes.  He was very mindful of not stabbing me with his horns while we kept reading the site to see how big rhinos got, where they lived (we looked up at the world map on the wall), and that their horns are made of keratin, just like his silky brown hair and his fingernails, tucked under into his little palms.

Not five minutes later, that lovely sweet moment was replaced by Buddy coming in to see me, asking if he could have a chocolate he’d already gotten out of the cupboard.  Earlier in the day, he had brought me a treat, asking if he could have it.  I’d asked him if he had finished his lunch, he’d said yes, I said yes, and then it turned out he’d lied to me.  I took the treat away until after he’d finished, and Daddyman talked to him about lying, and how it wasn’t how people who respected one another treated one another.  (I was about to lead with the whole ‘why we eat healthy food first’ thing, but Daddyman was right – lying was the big issue this time.) So, this time when I asked him if he’d finished his lunch and he said yes, I told him that I was going to have to get up and go check.  It takes me a minute to get up, and I heard him move a plate in the kitchen on my way in: he’d put his plate, with his 1/3 eaten sandwich still on it, on the floor under the table.  He started crying as soon as I found it, and left the room sobbing when I put the treat back up in the cupboard, and moved the chair away from the counter.

Daddyman came home from the market just then, got the full scoop, and brought Buddy back into the bedroom for a Time-In (ie cuddle, to help him reregulate).  Then the three of us discussed how Buddy isn’t really hungry (he’s still getting over a cold, and really may not have much of an appetite), but wanted something yummy.  We talked about what we were having for dinner, and he wasn’t interested, so I asked if there was some healthy food he could think of that sounded yummy, and he said ‘flat cheese’, which around here means Swiss cheese slices.  He had a few, Daddyman and I discussed the logistics of dinner, bedtime and playing, and he went off to make dinner, so we’d have uninterrupted time to play after we eat.  Buddy doesn’t like this plan, but he’d like having his game interrupted to  make and eat dinner even less.  Oh, he just peed in the potty again!  (Not jinxing this, NOT jinxing this!) Beara has been busy drawing weavings like the one I did earlier this week, so she can give them to people at the event tomorrow; she loves making gifts of her art. I did a 20 minute workout on Wii Fit (step routine and marching band, with the kids cheering me as I went), then Buddy is played the biking game until dinner, enjoying launching himself off the cliff and into the river, much to Big D’s consternation – she likes games to be played the way they are *supposed* to be played, darn it!

She came into the kitchen while I was helping Daddyman get dinner on the table, mentioning in passing that there was a new rule for Big D Turtle land: only girl Big D turtles could give presents to boys; boy Big D turtles could not give presents to girls.  I told her that this was sexist, and Daddyman said that she should start a protest, where she and all the other Big D Turtles complained that everyone should be able to give presents to whomsoever they wanted to give them.  I told her that some people think that little girls should all grow up to be mommies who stay home with their kids, and don’t have other jobs, like being engineers, nurses, or astronauts, and that we shouldn’t have the right to *choose* to be home with our kids, like I am now.  Since her new hero is Cady Coleman, she was gratifyingly horrified.  Big D went off to her room, came back a few minutes later, and said that she had made them change the “stupid rule.”  >:)

5:30 – 8 PM: (Dinner and an unusual night, in that we try to take on something big as a family, rather than just unwinding with movies, stories, or independent play. Probably overly ambitious, but good, regardless.)  Dinner was great, or at least I thought so; none of the kids wanted to eat the spicy Mexican wraps Daddyman made for dinner, so they had left over mac and cheese.  I finished first, loaded and ran the dishwasher, and did another sink full of pans, as they had really piled up when I was sick earlier in the week.  Everyone else was done eating at 6 PM, so I asked Daddyman how long the game would take, and he said we could do it in a hour, so I agreed that we could go ahead and play.

Hero’s Quest is a better game than I anticipated, and it turns out I had played it, briefly, once about five years ago – my character was still in the box!  The kids are learning here too, adding up the dice (and bigger numbers when they find gold treasure), planning and prioritizing their actions, working as a team, and using the map as we move our characters around the game world.  Beara as timid (but excited) about looking for treasure in every room, and Big D took every set back as a chance to practice and improve her skillset, which was nice to see in her, since she demonstrates pretty poor frustration tolerance in her daily life.  All three kids took on the same kind of roles they have in our ongoing D&D game; Beara as wizard and healer, Big D as sneaky trap-disarmer, and Buddy as the serious noble warrior, charging into battle to vanquish the bad guy.  I routinely play the multipurpose character, so I can throw heals or whump heads as needed, playing backup to whomever may need it.  Daddyman ran the game well, and we had lots of fun, but it went TWO hours instead of one, and everyone was getting pretty tired by the last half hour, esp as we’re still getting over bugs, all worked out on Wii today, and bedtime is at 8 PM!  Beara started doodling, and not paying attention to the game, and Buddy started bouncing on my sore leg, which made my grouchier than I would have liked.  We rallied for the last two big battles though, and worked as a team to complete the challenges thrown at us.  We gave each other high fives, then quickly segued to  goodnight kisses.

8-10 PM:  (Two out of three kids in bed, Buddy settles down to a movie, while Daddyman and I finally have some uninterrupted time in which to get some work and studying done.) Daddyman just tucked the girls in (he climbs in and gives each of the girls cuddles for a minute or two), and Buddy is nursing and wishing (aka crying) that Daddyman had let him keep holding his warrior game piece, but it is very old, and thus likely lead-based pewter, which isn’t safe for him to handle long term, so back in the box it went.

Buddy is a tired little man, and I hope he settles down soon, esp as we have a full day planned for tomorrow.  It is now 9 PM, and he’s already watched a Word Factory DVD, and just put in a Whistlefritz Spanish immersion DVD, so his intellect is obviously still on full throttle, even if he isn’t handling emotional content very well at this point. Daddyman is in the living room with Buddy, using his own computer to do his homework and work on his writing/publishing stuff, now that the house is fairly quiet. They are both natural night owls, and we’ve discovered that there is just no point in putting Buddy down, as he won’t stay or sleep until he is ready to do so.  He often uses my computer on the desk next to our bed late at night, tucking me in and then going back to playing, or starfall, or whatever, until he is ready for bed, sometimes hours later, at which point he shuts the computer and crawls in under the covers next to me.  I’m happy to have him use technology in these ways; it gives his brain the stimulation it needs, even as his body is tired, and I get a much-needed break!

I have some work to do tonight though, now that I might actually have a chance to do some.  I want to go through some scope and sequences I’ve got bookmarked, and start to  rough out what the girls will be doing from their birthdays in April until July 1st, for the Minimum Course of Study I want to submit to the state of Vermont by the end of the month.  (It isn’t due until their birthday, but the state gets 45 days to comment on it, so backdating that gave me the end of this month as a guideline.)  If Buddy is still climbing around the bed by the time I’ve done some work on that, I’ll take a look at my energy and proceed accordingly; either work on my research on Anglo-Saxon textiles for a class I’m teaching in March, or watch last night’s episode of Grey’s Anatomy on Hulu, possibly with headphones, depending on Buddy’s level of attention to it and the content of this particular episode.  Either way, I want to turn off the lights and play a round or two of Sudoku on my cell phone before going to sleep myself sometime between 10 and 11 PM.  Hopefully Buddy won’t be too far behind me.

Postscript: Sorry for the lack of pictures, but they just didn’t have that kind of energy on top of documenting everything in writing. Tomorrow we are going out for a long day in New York State, taking a ferry across Lake Champlain to spend the day with our medieval group, the SCA, watching Daddyman swordfight with friends, spinning some wool, and generally shaking off the winter stir-crazies.  Sunday will likely see Daddyman working on a major assignment for his university program, and my trying to recover enough from our day out to attend a meeting of current and prospective homeschoolers at our local library.  I’ll bring our current curriculum materials, so others can check them out before ordering, and hopefully engage in some good face to face mutual support.

We don’t pay particular attention to weekends as opposed to weekdays, esp as Daddyman’s per diem schedule at the rehab unit he still does some work for varies so much, but after a full day Saturday, and recovering and going to the meeting on Sunday, I know that our weekend is going to be fairly shot in terms of formal homeschooling, not that that will keep the kids from learning and growing.  As you can see from the day we had, formal education amounted to about an hour for each of the girls, and thirty minutes for Buddy, but learning starts first thing in the morning, and goes right up until bedtime and sometimes beyond.  They’ll unschool while I rest up and go to the meeting, and then Monday, and their workbooks and other scheduled activities will be waiting for us.  Days when we don’t have scheduled activities (about half of them, in any given week) might sometimes feel scattered, and even lazy, but writing a detailed log like this has been an interesting experience: being kind of hyper-aware of how we all actually spent our day today has highlighted just how rich and varied a day we’ve had!

Thanks for coming along for the journey.  If you decide to document a day in the life of YOUR homeschooling family, I’d love to know about it.  Why not leave a link to your post here in the comments, so I (and others) can come visit?  The original Patchwork of Days book was written over fifteen years ago; I’d love to see inside more homeschooling lives circa 2012!

(ETA, the following morning: The “no yelling, no hitting” handshake continues to work; Beara just ASKED for it!  Got some solid work on the state paperwork done, but Buddy fell asleep on my shoulder soon thereafter.  I wound up talking with Daddyman until well after midnight, which was lovely, but I knew I was going to be tired today, which I am.  This isn’t the same big deal it might have been though, as Daddyman seems to have gotten the stomach bug we thought we were rid of; he had a rough night, and our plans to go to New York today got kaboshed.  We’ll probably bake cookies, do core academics,  run off some energy on the Wii, and yet again stay home so we don’t risk infecting anyone else.  Big D wants to know why things taste different when she has a cold, so we might do some research on that, who knows.  Be well!

This entry was posted in arts and craftiness, Asynchronous development, daily round, Disability, Educational Paradigms, Foreign Languages, full disclosure, Homeschooling Life, language arts, life skills, math, parenting, social studies, technology, unschooly goodness and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s